What is a tick?A tick is not an insect. It is related to the spider. The whole spider family is called arachnids (a-rak-nids). All arachnids have eight legs (insects only have six). Like spiders, ticks cannot fly. Some ticks are soft and squishy, like a dog tick. Others, like deer ticks, have a very hard shell. Ticks feed on the blood of animals, including humans. You may not even know that you have been bitten because you can barely feel a tick bite. Ticks are very small, about the size of a sesame seed. Young ticks can be even smaller! Once a tick has bitten you it can stay attached to your skin for several weeks if you dont remove it
What is Lyme Disease? Some ticks carry a sickness called Lyme disease. Not all ticks carry the disease. So if you get bitten, dont worry! Just watch the skin around your tick bite. If the bite looks red right after you remove the tick, that just means your skin didnt like the ticks saliva (spit!) Some people are allergic to tick spit. If you get a rash in the shape of a circle around the bite, that could be Lyme disease. The rash usually shows up one to two weeks after you are bitten. Lyme disease can be cured if a doctor treats you with antibiotics right away. Some other signs of Lyme disease are tiredness, fever, headache, and upset stomach.
if a tick bites me?
do I look for ticks on me?
about ticks on my pets?
can I do to stay away from ticks? Ticks
like to live in shady, wooded areas. They can
be found in tall grass, Spanish moss, bushes, low tree branches, and sometimes even lawns
and gardens. They especially like warm
weather, so you should be extra careful during summer.
Ticks are usually found from April through September, but they can be around
whenever it is warm outside. Try not to play
in the woods. If you have to be in the woods,
be sure to:
light colored clothes (its easier to see ticks since they are dark)
· Always wear closed shoes (like sneakers and boots, not sandals)
· Tuck your pants into your socks so that ticks cant get inside your clothes
· Spray clothes with bug spray
· Check yourself often for ticks on your skin or clothes
· If youre hiking, stay on clear trails (dont go into heavily wooded areas)
you go inside make sure you:
your clothes to kill any ticks
· Take a shower
· Have one of your parents help you check yourself for ticks
can my parents do to keep ticks out of our yard?
the grass mowed.
· Avoid putting plants in the yard that attract deer and other animals (ticks live on animals.)
· Clear brush, leaf litter and tall grass from around the house.
· Keep the ground under bird feeders clean so you do not attract small animals (like squirrels.)
· Have a professional spray the house and yard with an insecticide in late May (to kill young ticks) and in September (to kill adult ticks.)
|Deer Tick||You can pull a tickstraight up, or||You can roll the tick out, but do not twist!|
To learn more about Ticks, click here.